Preventive care is, without a doubt, a significant factor in your physical well-being. This is also true, maybe even more so, as you age. Fortunately, after years of having limited coverage of preventive care, Medicare does now cover more preventive care. The key for the Medicare beneficiary is being aware of these and taking advantage of them. Preventative Care Covered by Medicare
“Welcome to Medicare” Visit – Each Medicare beneficiary is entitled to a “Welcome to Medicare” visit within their first 12 months of being on Medicare Part B. During this visit, your provider will help you map out your current health situation and any future follow-up or ongoing needs (What Does the Welcome to Medicare Visit Cover?). Make sure your provider knows that this is your “Welcome to Medicare” visit, as this is coded differently than the annual wellness check (see below) and can cause problems if not handled correctly.
Annual Wellness Check – After your initial visit, each Medicare beneficiary can also do an annual wellness visit. During this visit, which is completed with your primary care doctor, you will review any further preventive care needs as well as your current health concerns or questions.
Now, Medicare covers many preventive care services at a 100% level, as long as they are deemed to be “medically necessary”. Keep in mind that what Medicare considers “medically necessary” is person-specific in some cases – it can be based on your past health history, family history and other medical variables. Here is a list of medical preventive services that are covered by Medicare Part B at 100%:
There are other preventive care services that Medicare covers at 80%. If you have a Medigap plan, your plan may pick up the remaining 20% depending on which plan you have. Here is a list of those preventive services:
Overall, Medicare is covering much more preventive care than it has in the past. It is up to each Medicare beneficiary, in conjunction with their medical providers, to stay on top of this. Make sure you take advantage of the preventive care options that you have at your disposal as a Medicare beneficiary. Preventative Care Covered by Medicare
Preventative Care Covered by Medicare Preventative Care Covered by Medicare Preventative Care Covered by Medicare Preventative Care Covered by Medicare Preventative Care Covered by Medicare
Garrett is the founder/President of Secure Medicare Solutions, a leading, independent Medicare insurance agency. Since 2007, Garrett has worked with tens of thousands of people turning 65 or already on Medicare to understand, compare and choose Medicare insurance that fits their specific needs and situation.
His latest project is 65Medicare.org, an online hub for people just starting with Medicare, which is focused on distilling difficult Medicare questions into easy-to-understand resources.
Garrett resides in North Carolina with his lovely wife, Celeste, and three spirited children.View All Articles